    Subjectclean way to support >32bit addr on 32bit CPU
    I have this ARM (XScale) based platform that supports 36bit physical
    addressing. Due to the way the ATU is designed, the outbound memory
    translation window is fixed outside the first 4GB of memory space, and
    thus the need to use 64bit addressing in order to access the PCI bus.
    After all said and done, the struct resource members start and end
    must support 64bit integer values in order to work. On a 64bit arch
    that would be fine since unsigned long is 64bit. However on a 32bit
    arch one must use unsigned long long to get 64bit. However, if we do
    that then it would make the 64bit archs to have 128bit start and end
    and probably wouldn't be something we'd want. What would be a nice
    clean way to support this that's acceptable to Linux? I guess this
    issue would be similar to x86-32 PAE would have?

    Also, please cc me on on the discussion. Not sure if my LKML
    subscription is working... Thanks!

    -= Dave =-

    Software Engineer - Advanced Development Engineering Team
    Storage Component Division - Intel Corp.
    mailto://dave.jiang @ intel dot com
    The views expressed in this email are
    mine alone and do not necessarily
    reflect the views of my employer
    (Intel Corp.).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.020 / U:3.760 seconds]