SubjectRe: Trying out SCHED_BATCH
Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Andrew Morton wrote:
>
>> Paolo Ciarrocchi <paolo.ciarrocchi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Andrew, what's your plan for the staircase scheduler ?
>>

>> I have none, frankly. I haven't seen any complaints about the current
>> scheduler.
>>
>> If someone can identify bad behaviour in the current scheduler which
>> staircase improves then please describe a tescase which the scheduler
>> developers can use to reproduce the situation.
>

> Of course that may result in just another band-aid on the current
> scheduler rather than a change.
>

>> If, after that, we deem that the problem cannot be feasibly fixed
>> within the
>> context of the current scheduler and that the problem is sufficiently
>> serious to justify wholesale replacement of the scheduler then sure,
>> staircase is an option.
>

> More to the point, was there a problem with plugable schedulers? It
> would be both technically and politically better to let people try, use,
> and write schedulers for special case loads, just as we have for io
> scheduling.
>
> I didn't find staircase to be the solution to any of my problems, but it
> would be nice to let all the people who are improving schedulers have an
> easy way to try new ideas (easier than building a whole new kernel, that
> is).

At Con's request I've taken over responsibility for plugsched but I've
been away visiting relatives for the last week or so and, therefore, I'm
a little behind. I hope to release a plugsched patch for 2.6.10 in the
next few days with a (work in progress) modification to share a lot more
code between schedulers so that the amount of work required to implement
new schedulers is reduced.

Peter
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@bigpond.net.au