    SubjectRe: PROBLEM: Kernel 2.6.10 crashing repeatedly and hard
    On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 10:50:55PM +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > >In Georg C. F. Greve <> wrote:
    > >
    > >Yes, well, don't put the journal on the raid partition. Put it
    > >elsewhere (anyway, journalling and raid do not mix, as write ordering
    > >is not - deliberately - preserved in raid, as far as I can tell).
    > This is a sort of a nonsense, really. Both claims, it seems.
    > I can't say for sure whenever write ordering is preserved by
    > raid -- it should, and if it isn't, it's a bug and should be
    > fixed. Nothing else is wrong with placing journal into raid
    > (the same as the filesystem in question). Suggesting to remove
    > journal just isn't fair: the journal is here for a reason.
    > And, finally, the kernel should not crash. If something like
    > this is unsupported, it should refuse to do so, instead of
    > crashing randomly.

    Write ordering trouble shouldn't crash the kernel, the way I
    understand it. Your journalled fs could be lost/inconsistent
    if the machine crashes for other reasons, due to bad write
    ordering. But the ordering trouble shouldn't cause a crash,
    and all should be fine as soon as all the writes complete
    without other incidents.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.019 / U:26.956 seconds]