    SubjectRe: silent semantic changes in reiser4 (brief attempt to document the idea ofwhat reiser4 wants to do with metafiles and why

    On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 05:03:42AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
    > *Not* that I am endorsing the idea of being able to access metadata
    > via a standard pathname --- I continue to believe that named streams
    > are a bad idea that will be an attractive nuisance to application
    > developers, and if we must do them, then Solaris's openat(2) API is
    > the best way to proceed --- HOWEVER, if people are insistent on being
    > able to do this via standard pathnames, and not introducing a new
    > system call, I would suggest /|/ as the separator as the third least
    > worst option. Why?

    I believe this debate is counterproductive while there are far more
    basic and serious issues with reiser4, such as architecture-neutrality
    of the interpretation of the on-disk format, still pending.

    -- wli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:2.531 / U:0.008 seconds]