    SubjectRe: Major XFS problems...
    On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 02:35:24PM +0200, Jakob Oestergaard wrote:
    > First XFS bug:
    > ---------------

    I've shared your frustration this summer:

    but after and going back to 8K stacks, my fileserver has been

    > XFS causes lowmem oom, triggering the OOM killer. Reported by
    > on the 18th of august.

    Have you tried if this helps:

    sysctl -w vm.vfs_cache_pressure=10000

    Fixed oom-killer problems for me on 2.6.8-rc2. It was very eager to
    kill the backup (tivoli storage manager) client. Haven't needed it so
    far on

    > A little info on the hardware:
    > Big server Small server
    > ---------------------- -----------------------
    > Intel Xeon Dual Athlon MP
    > 7 external SCSI disks 4 internal IDE disks
    > IBM hardware RAID Software RAID-1 + LVM
    > 600+ GB XFS ~150 GB XFS
    > 17+ M files ~1 M files

    Dual pentium-III (IBM x330)
    2 TB Infortren Eonstore, fibre channel
    500 GB in use
    ~5 M files

    Also have another dual Xeon (Dell PowerEdge 2650) with ~1 TB on XFS,
    but that's running 2.4.20-30.8.XFS1.3.1smp, and has never had any

    > Does anyone actually use XFS for serious file-serving?

    > If XFS is a no-go because of lack of support, is there any realistic
    > alternatives under Linux (taking our need for quota into account) ?
    > And finally, if Linux is simply a no-go for high performance file
    > serving, what other suggestions might people have? NetApp?

    My impression so far has been more that the 2.6-series might not yet
    have been stable enough. Have had to be chasing the leading/bleeding
    edge to get away from the known problems. Was looking forward to a
    real "maintainer" taking over this series, but that doesn't seem to be

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.046 / U:1.836 seconds]