SubjectRe: Major XFS problems...
On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 02:35:24PM +0200, Jakob Oestergaard wrote:
> First XFS bug:
> ---------------

I've shared your frustration this summer:

but after and going back to 8K stacks, my fileserver has been

> XFS causes lowmem oom, triggering the OOM killer. Reported by
> on the 18th of august.

Have you tried if this helps:

sysctl -w vm.vfs_cache_pressure=10000

Fixed oom-killer problems for me on 2.6.8-rc2. It was very eager to
kill the backup (tivoli storage manager) client. Haven't needed it so
far on

> A little info on the hardware:
> Big server Small server
> ---------------------- -----------------------
> Intel Xeon Dual Athlon MP
> 7 external SCSI disks 4 internal IDE disks
> IBM hardware RAID Software RAID-1 + LVM
> 600+ GB XFS ~150 GB XFS
> 17+ M files ~1 M files

Dual pentium-III (IBM x330)
2 TB Infortren Eonstore, fibre channel
500 GB in use
~5 M files

Also have another dual Xeon (Dell PowerEdge 2650) with ~1 TB on XFS,
but that's running 2.4.20-30.8.XFS1.3.1smp, and has never had any

> Does anyone actually use XFS for serious file-serving?

> If XFS is a no-go because of lack of support, is there any realistic
> alternatives under Linux (taking our need for quota into account) ?
> And finally, if Linux is simply a no-go for high performance file
> serving, what other suggestions might people have? NetApp?

My impression so far has been more that the 2.6-series might not yet
have been stable enough. Have had to be chasing the leading/bleeding
edge to get away from the known problems. Was looking forward to a
real "maintainer" taking over this series, but that doesn't seem to be

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.126 / U:4.764 seconds]