On Tue, 8 Sep 2004, Christer Weinigel wrote:

> Subject: Re: silent semantic changes with reiser4
>
> David Lang <david.lang@digitalinsight.com> writes:
>
>> so far the best answer that I've seen is a slight varient of what Hans
>> is proposing for the 'file-as-a-directory'
>>
>> make the base file itself be a serialized version of all the streams
>> and if you want the 'main' stream open file/. (or some similar
>> varient)
>
>> in fact it may make sense to just open file/file to get at the 'main'
>> stream of the file (there may be cases where the concept of a single
>> main stream may not make sense)
>
> So what happens if I have a text file foo.txt and add an author
> attribute to it? When I read foo.txt the next time it's supposed to
> give me a serialized version with both the contents of foo.txt _and_
> the author attribute?
>
> That would definitely confuse me.
>
> Or did I misunderstand something?

good point. under my scheme you would need to access foo.txt/foo.txt or
foo.txt/. instead of just foo.txt

I guess my way would work if there is a way to know that a file has been
extended (or if you just make it a habit of opening the file/file instead
of just file) but not for random additions of streams to otherwise normal
files.

Oh well, it seemed like a easy fix (and turned out to be to easy to be
practical)

David Lang