David Lang <david.lang@digitalinsight.com> writes:

> so far the best answer that I've seen is a slight varient of what Hans
> is proposing for the 'file-as-a-directory'
>
> make the base file itself be a serialized version of all the streams
> and if you want the 'main' stream open file/. (or some similar
> varient)

> in fact it may make sense to just open file/file to get at the 'main'
> stream of the file (there may be cases where the concept of a single
> main stream may not make sense)

So what happens if I have a text file foo.txt and add an author
attribute to it? When I read foo.txt the next time it's supposed to
give me a serialized version with both the contents of foo.txt _and_
the author attribute?

That would definitely confuse me.

Or did I misunderstand something?

/Christer

Freelance consultant specializing in device driver programming for Linux
Christer Weinigel <christer@weinigel.se> http://www.weinigel.se