Gunnar Ritter <> writes:

> No, it would not. If you read the POSIX.1 specification for cp
> carefully <>, you will
> notice that the process for copying a regular file is carefully
> standardized. A POSIX.1-conforming cp implementation would not
> be allowed to copy additional streams, unless either additional
> options are given or the type of the file being copied is other
> than S_IFREG. And cp is just one example of a standardized file
> handling program.

We can safely ignore POSIX when it is too broken. cp could very well
be modified to copy named streams except when the option --posix is
specified or the environment variale POSIXLY_CORRECT is set.

Freelance consultant specializing in device driver programming for Linux
Christer Weinigel <>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.732 / U:0.972 seconds]