SubjectRe: silent semantic changes in reiser4 (brief attempt to document the idea of what reiser4 wants to do with metafiles and why
Pavel Machek wrote:

>Hi!
>

>>Answer: choose obscure names
>>
>>Problem (all credit to Mr. Demidov for identifying this problem, I
>>argued the other viewpoint, and I can only claim the wisdom to know
>>that I lost the argument): names like "..metas" are ugly to new users,
>>who don't really care for languages that use punctuation in their
>>keywords.
>>
>>Answer
>>
>>don't make them too obscure, experienced namespace developers know
>>that the problem of polluting the namespace is not really as big a
>>deal as beginners think it is, and Clearcase and the WAFL filesystem
>>manage to get by just fine, whereas the problem of putting punctuation
>>marks into names and syntax is a big deal for newbies to the system.
>>Name it "metas" not "..metas", and users will never experience it as a
>>real problem, and newbies will never be annoyed by a-rhythmic
>>punctuation. Note: if Linus disagrees, it is not the most important
>>thing in this design, "..metas" isn't the end of the world.
>>

>What about choosing just "..." instead of "metas"? "metas" is string
>that needs translation etc, while "..." is nicely neutral.
>
>cat /sound_of_silence.mp3/.../author
>
>does not look bad, either...
> Pavel

"..." is pretty good, but I think it has been used by others, but I
really forget who. I could live with "...", but I think "metas" and
"..metas" will collide less often. Apparently Meta is a finnish name or
something, so Linus does not like it. The exact string is really not
very important to me. I agree that "..." is elegant.

Hans

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.137 / U:0.392 seconds]