    SubjectRe: Mouse Support in Kernel 2.6.8
    I have observed something which I would like to share
    with you. Do we need to change XF86Config file when we
    are migrating from Kernel 2.4 to 2.6.8 ?

    Whenever I boot my system [ either in Kernel 2.4 or
    2.6.8], I am prompt by kudzu to configure/
    unconfigure the following hardware devices:

    1. LGI|8051
    2. Generic PS/2 Wheel Mouse

    If I configure LGI|8051 only [not Generic Mouse
    because If I configure Generic Mouse, then I donot get
    Mouse Support in Kernel 2.4] in my Kernel 2.4, then
    everything works fine and I get mouse support. But If
    try to do the same thing in Kernel 2.6.8 [ i.e
    configure LGI|8051 and don't configure Generic PS/2],
    then my Kernel gives error in launching X Server and
    error is as follows:
    xf86OpenSerial can't open device /dev/ttyS1

    My XF86Config contents are as follows:
    # XFree86 4 configuration created by
    redhat-config-xfree86

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
    EndSection

    Section "Files"

    # RgbPath is the location of the RGB database. Note,
    this is the name of the
    # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").
    There is normally
    # no need to change the default.
    # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are
    concatenated together)
    # By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font
    server independent of
    # the X server to render fonts.
    RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath "unix/:7100"
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "fbdevhw"
    Load "glx"
    Load "record"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "type1"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"

    # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled
    (eg, with xset(1))
    # Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"
    # To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment
    XkbDisable.
    # Option "XkbDisable"
    # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard,
    modify the
    # lines below (which are the defaults). For example,
    for a non-U.S.
    # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
    # Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
    # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can
    use:
    # Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
    #
    # Then to change the language, change the Layout
    setting.
    # For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
    # Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    # or:
    # Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    # Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
    #
    # If you'd like to switch the positions of your
    capslock and
    # control keys, use:
    # Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
    # Or if you just want both to be control, use:
    # Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
    #
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "keyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "Microsoft"
    Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS1"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"

    # If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse
    then
    # this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to
    let you
    # also use USB mice at the same time.
    Identifier "DevInputMice"
    Driver "mouse"