    SubjectRe: Mouse Support in Kernel 2.6.8
    I have observed something which I would like to share
    with you. Do we need to change XF86Config file when we
    are migrating from Kernel 2.4 to 2.6.8 ?

    Whenever I boot my system [ either in Kernel 2.4 or
    2.6.8], I am prompt by kudzu to configure/
    unconfigure the following hardware devices:

    1. LGI|8051
    2. Generic PS/2 Wheel Mouse

    If I configure LGI|8051 only [not Generic Mouse
    because If I configure Generic Mouse, then I donot get
    Mouse Support in Kernel 2.4] in my Kernel 2.4, then
    everything works fine and I get mouse support. But If
    try to do the same thing in Kernel 2.6.8 [ i.e
    configure LGI|8051 and don't configure Generic PS/2],
    then my Kernel gives error in launching X Server and
    error is as follows:
    xf86OpenSerial can't open device /dev/ttyS1

    My XF86Config contents are as follows:
    # XFree86 4 configuration created by

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"

    Section "Files"

    # RgbPath is the location of the RGB database. Note,
    this is the name of the
    # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").
    There is normally
    # no need to change the default.
    # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are
    concatenated together)
    # By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font
    server independent of
    # the X server to render fonts.
    RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath "unix/:7100"

    Section "Module"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "fbdevhw"
    Load "glx"
    Load "record"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "type1"

    Section "InputDevice"

    # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled
    (eg, with xset(1))
    # Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"
    # To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment
    # Option "XkbDisable"
    # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard,
    modify the
    # lines below (which are the defaults). For example,
    for a non-U.S.
    # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
    # Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
    # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can
    # Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
    # Then to change the language, change the Layout
    # For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
    # Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    # or:
    # Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    # Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
    # If you'd like to switch the positions of your
    capslock and
    # control keys, use:
    # Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
    # Or if you just want both to be control, use:
    # Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "keyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "Microsoft"
    Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS1"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"

    Section "InputDevice"

    # If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse
    # this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to
    let you
    # also use USB mice at the same time.
    Identifier "DevInputMice"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "StudioWorks"
    DisplaySize 270 200
    HorizSync 30.0 - 54.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0
    Option "dpms"

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "ati"
    VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName "ATI Mach64 3D Rage IIC"

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Videocard0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 16
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "800x600" "640x480"

    Section "DRI"
    Group 0
    Mode 0666

    Go to:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.026 / U:7.064 seconds]