    SubjectRe: NVIDIA Driver 1.0-6111 fix
    On Sad, 2004-09-04 at 22:22, Lee Revell wrote:
    > I have never understood why these people don't just run Windows. I have
    > also never understood why people make so much noise about having to use
    > a closed source driver to play A CLOSED SOURCE GAME! What's next, a
    > petition to open the UT2004 source? Sheesh...

    Because a lot of them happen to like running things on Linux, or having
    the webserver still work while they are blasting aliens. You could ask a
    few of them. Thats a rather good idea when you don't understand why
    people do something. They also play a lot of open source games - bzflag,
    cube, flightgear (which does need a high end video card to do well),
    gl-117, neverball etc. Take a look at the happypenguin website some day.

    > I suspect many of these users are ricers who tweak CFLAGS and compare
    > benchmark scores all day, and cannot bear to use the open source driver
    > if it will make their machine 1% slower. I was surprised to find that

    There is certainly a strong Gentoo gaming contingent.

    > apparently there are open source ATI 3D drivers after all but some
    > people are petitioning ATI anyway because these 'aren't as good' as the
    > binary ones. So fix it already, this is open source, and if you can't,
    > then please learn to write code or STFU.

    The source code ones only go for R2xx series, not R300/R400. A browse of
    the documentation would have told you that. Whether this will change
    nobody knows. Perhaps as R3xx ceases to be leading edge ATI will be nice
    to us.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.026 / U:9.628 seconds]