    SubjectRe: New proposed DRM interface design
    They have to be merged. Cards with two heads need the mode set on each
    head. fbdev only sets the mode on one head. If I teach fbdev how to
    set the mode of the other head fbdev needs to learn about memory
    management. The DRM memory management code is complex and is a big
    chunk of the driver.

    I would also like to fix things so that we can have two logged in
    users, one on each head. This isn't going to work if one them uses
    fbdev and keeps swithing the chip to 2D mode while the other user is
    in 3D mode. The chip needs to stay in 3D mode with the CP running.

    We're not going to get OOPS display while running X without merging.
    Something I would really like to have since I just had some and was
    force to hook up a serial console.

    It is just plain stupid having multiple device drivers fighting over
    control of a single piece of hardware. I thought we went over this
    multiple times at OLS. There have been email discussions about this
    since March.

    --
    Jon Smirl
    jonsmirl@gmail.com