    SubjectRe: New proposed DRM interface design
    Nick Piggin wrote:
    > Keith Whitwell wrote:
    >> Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    >>> Download a new kernel or petition the fedora legacy folks to
    >>> include a drm update. The last release RH-9 kernel has various security
    >>> and data integrity issues anyway, so you'd be a fool to keep running it.
    >> OK, I've found, and clicked on the 'latest stable
    >> kernel' link. I got a file called "patch-". I tried to
    >> install this but nothing happened. My i915 still doesn't work. What
    >> do I do now?
    > Just out of interest, what would the scenario be if you do if you could
    > get a compatible driver?

    Nick, I'm sorry I couldn't quite parse your question.

    Ideally, everybody would have all the drivers they need right there on the
    media they got their distribution on, and if not, they'd be able to pull them
    over quick smart from their vendor online.

    The biggest problem the DRI had in the early years was believing that you
    could get a new driver released to the public though the DRI tree, then an
    XFree86 CVS merge and XFree86 release, a Linux kernel release, maybe making it
    into vendor updates for X and kernel, but more likely the next full RedHat
    release, and ultimately into users hands in a reasonable amount of time.
    Typically it was 6 months to a year for this process to roll through.

    Given that we seldom had access to pre-release hardware, that meant that users
    were getting drivers about the time that cards became obsolete.

    A couple of things have changed since then - DRI drivers for the i915 were
    available at launch of the hardware, not 6 months later. But the rest of the
    process is still pretty slow, which is why the DRI snapshots and downloadable
    binaries were a significant step forward - if nvidia in particular can get
    uptodate drivers quickly into the hands of unsophisticated users, you have to
    ask yourself why users of DRI hardware should be forced to wait 6 months and
    then jump through hoops just to get their video cards working.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.025 / U:48.840 seconds]