    SubjectRe: [Umbrella-devel] Re: Getting full path from dentry in LSM hooks wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 22:05:03 +0200, =?UTF-8?B?S3Jpc3RpYW4gU8O4cmVuc2Vu?= said:
    >>Also simple bufferoverflows in suid-root programs may be avoided. The
    >>simple way would to set the restriction "no fork", and thus if an
    >>attacker tries to fork a (root) shell, this would be denied.
    > All this does is stop fork(). I'm not sure, but most shellcodes I've seen
    > don't bother forking, they just execve() a shell....
    I was not precise enough - it is not just fork, but the LSM catches
    every time a new process is created - so we do have some way of generic
    catching creation of processes, and denying so, if prohibited.

    > It doesn't stop a buffer overflow that does this:
    > f1 = open("/bin/bash");
    > f2 = open("/tmp/bash", O_CREAT);
    > while ((bytes = read(f1,buffer,sizeof(buffer))) > 0)
    > write(f2,buffer,bytes);
    > fchmod(f2,4775);
    > close(f1); close(f2);
    You are right! ... as long as a new process is not created, this may do
    some damage ... but:

    > Papering over *that* one by restricting fchmod just means the exploit needs to
    > append a line to /etc/passwd, or create a trojan inetd.conf or crontab entry,
    Not mny suid programs would really need to be able to access the /etc
    and everything below... E.g. cdrecord (there were a bug a year ago or
    something)... it should definitely not have access to the possiblílities
    you mention!

    > Remember - just papering over the fact that most shellcodes just execve() a
    > shell doesn't fix the fundemental problem, which is that the attacker is able
    > to run code of his choosing as root.
    Good point!

    Best, Kristian.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.023 / U:13.804 seconds]