    SubjectRe: New proposed DRM interface design

    > Let me be clear that I am unwilling to support changes to the DRM that break
    > it's usability on other operating systems on principle.

    I'm in agreement on that, ...
    > Maybe it's time to consider a fork of the DRM to allow a major experimentation
    > of the form Jon envisages to proceed without worrying about boring constraints
    > like keeping BSD working, backwards compatibility, etc. And the current DRM
    > architecture, which is pretty much stabilized, can continue to do those boring
    > tasks, and accumulate new drivers, until GNULonghorn is finished...

    I think it might be an idea myself, but not at this stage, I think a month
    or two from now it might be a better time, if we get an agreeable
    re-design done, then I'd be willing to let a fork proceed from that point,
    so that at least the DRMs are all coming from the same point,

    I think we should hold off on putting 2d stuff into the 3d drivers until
    the DRM is rearchitected into a nice clean stable system that is actually
    liked by kernel developers :-), I'm pushing the second set of macros
    removals to Linus over the next week, along with experimenting on a
    core/library tree...

    David Airlie, Software Engineer / airlied at
    pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.020 / U:3.152 seconds]