SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.9-rc3
Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

> | And thats one of the reasons I never dl the bz2 version.
>
> what has bz2 to do with that?

Some people believe bz2 to be buggy or otherwise less tolerant of
corruption. For most people these things don't seem to come up; I've
never had problems with either despite frequent work with large
compressed datasets.

> | You should have started with a fresh unpack of 2.6.8, not 2.6.8.1
> | I just checked my scrollback and there is no such error here.
>
> well its a bit confusing. 2.6.8.1 is the latest stable right, normaly
> patches are applied against the latest stable. Let's just hope this NFS
> fix is on the rc series if you have to apply against 2.6.8

Linus decided that patches will always be off the previous
non-extraversion tarball. Note that -rc3 is not relative to -rc2, so in
that way its consistent. The reason Linus gave is that such
trivial-but-important bugfixes may come *after* the next version has
releases or release cantidates, so this is the only sane way. For
example, if another tiny code bug motivated making a 2.6.8.2, the
release cantidates shouldn't have to be rediffed. Hopefully it makes
sense now :)

- Jim Bruce