    SubjectRe: [patch] kernel sysfs events layer
    On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 15:15, Kay Sievers wrote:
    [snip]
    > Maybe we just need to rename "kevent" to "kobject_notify" to make the
    > focus more clear :)

    Thanks, Kay, for answering my questions.

    I'm wondering if you've narrowed the interface too much in respect to
    possible events. I'm interested in error event notification. My goal is
    to work on creating common, consistent, and meaningful error messages or
    notifications that can be easily understood or used to trigger events.
    Possible responses to error messages - in User Space - could be to spit
    out a more detailed error message to the console that includes possible
    causes, possible actions, and the erroring device information (gathered
    from HAL and/or sysfs) or to automatically launch a diagnostic.

    While I'm currently more interested in the actual error events, I
    thought I could take advantage of the proposed kevent interface because
    parsing /var/log/messages is cumbersome. But now I'm not so sure.

    I was thinking the send_kevent form that included the payload could be
    put into dev_err() macros, so we didn't have to add yet another
    interface to drivers. We could just patch dev_err(). I even thought we
    could add a dev_event() for using specific events.

    Now I'm wondering if this interface would be useful for error events.
    Most error events don't require data at event time, but there are some
    that do.

    If you curious about the error events, I've started a list of actionable
    error events that includes the current message string, possible causes,
    and possible actions (it's a work in progress):

    http://linux-diag.sourceforge.net/first_failure/FirstFailure.html

    Thanks,
    Dan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.040 / U:1.440 seconds]