    SubjectRe: [Umbrella-devel] Re: Getting full path from dentry in LSM hooks
    Alan Cox wrote:
    > On Gwe, 2004-09-03 at 13:12, Kristian Sørensen wrote:
    >>I have a short question, concerning how to get the full path of a file
    >>from a LSM hook.
    > The full path or a full path. It may have several. They may also have
    > changed under you.
    >>Can some one reveal the trick to get the full path nomater if the
    >>filesystem is root or mounted elsewhere in the filesystem?
    > You can get the namespace and the name within that namespace that
    > represents at least one of the names of the file within the vfs layer
    > (this is what the VFS itself uses for the struct nameidata).
    > There may be multiple links to a file, it may be mounted in multiple
    > places and someone on a seperate NFS server may have moved it while you
    > are thinking about it.
    Umbrella is mostly designed for embedded systems (where selinux is
    overkill) and also it is very easy to understand. Most restrictions will
    be made to e.g. stop viruses from spreading, and it is quite easy, yet
    very effective:

    If an email client receives an malformed email (like the countless
    attacks on outlook), a simple restriction could be for the process
    handeling the mail would be "$HOME/.addressbook", furthermore, you could
    specify that attachments executed _from_ the emailprogram would not have
    access to the network. Thus the virus cannot find mail addresses to send
    itself to - and it cannot even get network access. Simple and effective.

    Also simple bufferoverflows in suid-root programs may be avoided. The
    simple way would to set the restriction "no fork", and thus if an
    attacker tries to fork a (root) shell, this would be denied. Another way
    could be to heavily restrict access to the filesystem. If the program is
    restricted from /var, the root shell spawned by the attack would not
    have access either. (restrictions are enherited from parent to children).

    Best regards, Kristian.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.042 / U:69.532 seconds]