SubjectRe: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives
I don't think streams are a good thing, I think that all of the
different pieces of additional functionality necessary to emulate them
with files and directories are a good thing.

Keeping streams out of linux was one of the (less important) ideas
behind reiser4. Streams are a rigid hack. The toolkit that can emulate
them, is useful, and the perceived importance of that emulation will
fade as people start to use the toolkit for things that are much more
fun than streams.

I agree with most of the rest of what you say though David.

Hans

David Masover wrote:

> File-as-a-dir has numerous advantages, but enough have been discussed.
> Short list is image mounts, tarballs, streams, metas, and namespace
> unification. Longer list and explanations can be found if you RTFA.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.510 / U:0.564 seconds]