SubjectRe: Is there a user space pci rescan method?
Date
> > to get all slots and try to enable the device. We have tested it once
> > with a special PCI debugging board where we can electrically disable the
> > PCI bus so we don't kill our hardware. The problem was that on reenabling
> > a interrupt storm killed the machine, I don't remember the exact problem.
> > IIRC it looked like the kernel found the device but the PCI bridge got
> > confused by the new device (or something like this). I don't know if
> > there is a way to survive this situation as the bridges in "normal"
> > hardware are not hotplug aware. Greg?
>
> Hm, don't know, but that's the whole reason people want this, so it
> should work :)

IMHO they want it for testing logical removal, hot removal without hardware
support is just too dangerous to test with dummyphp. Or what am I missing?

> The main reason I don't like showing _all_ possible pci devices like
> dummyphp does is that it doesn't handle adding a new device (like you
> just said), and the fact that you forgot to handle pci domains. If you
> add support for PCI domains, then the list of files in that directory
> will pretty much be unusable.

Ehm? Did you read the code? I use the PCI domains of the slots and buses. And
by default there are only slots with devices in it shown now.

> Please just add the "rescan" support to fakephp, and everyone will be
> happy...

That can't be. I hate fakephp ;)

Eike

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.072 / U:0.272 seconds]