SubjectRe: SiI3112 Serial ATA Maxtor 6Y120M0 incorrect geometry detected
I agree that parted reports an error, however I think there is
something else going on. When I run fdisk there is a different CHS
reported for each disk, even though they are the same geometry. I
can't partition the second disk to have the same partition sizes as
the other disk because of this. I only mentioned parted because I was
trying every partitioner there is.

I am glad to hear I am helping tighten up some code to make things
clearer, but I was hoping someone might have a solution for how I can
partition this second identical disk so it has identical partition
sizing as the first so I can put software RAID mirroring on them. From
what it sounds like you guys are saying (IANALKH) dmesg is reporting
the wrong CHS, and parted has a fix for its error, but is there
something I can do to get the partition sizing right?

thanks for the quick replies!
micah