    SubjectRe: SiI3112 Serial ATA Maxtor 6Y120M0 incorrect geometry detected
    I agree that parted reports an error, however I think there is
    something else going on. When I run fdisk there is a different CHS
    reported for each disk, even though they are the same geometry. I
    can't partition the second disk to have the same partition sizes as
    the other disk because of this. I only mentioned parted because I was
    trying every partitioner there is.

    I am glad to hear I am helping tighten up some code to make things
    clearer, but I was hoping someone might have a solution for how I can
    partition this second identical disk so it has identical partition
    sizing as the first so I can put software RAID mirroring on them. From
    what it sounds like you guys are saying (IANALKH) dmesg is reporting
    the wrong CHS, and parted has a fix for its error, but is there
    something I can do to get the partition sizing right?

    thanks for the quick replies!

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:59:48 +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
    <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:29:37 +0200, Andries Brouwer
    > < > wrote:
    > > On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 12:15:33AM +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm tired of this issue and this is what I'm going to do:
    > > > - remove CHS info from IDE printks and /proc/ide/
    > > > - add BLKGETSTART ioctl for getting partition's start sector
    > > > (this is the only legitimate use of HDIO_GETGEO currently)
    > > > - at least obsolete HDIO_GETGEO in IDE or even remove it (failing is
    > > > better than returning unexpected results)
    > > > - silence complainers :)
    > > >
    > > > Bartlomiej
    > >
    > > Yes. Consider returning 0 for C/H/S in HDIO_GETGEO.
    > >
    > > We need the BLKGETSTART ioctl for another reason:
    > > the field start of a struct hd_geometry has 32 bits
    > > and fails for partitions starting past the 2TB mark.
    > > So, just like BLKGETSIZE64, this BLKGETSTART must
    > > return a u64 and return an offset in bytes.
    > Yes, I though so. Also u64 is 64-bit safe.
    > > As we all know, geometry is meaningless for IDE.
    > > But it is not for MFM/RLL and similar ancient stuff.
    > > If support for old disks is not broken yet, try not to break it.
    > OK.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.021 / U:22.596 seconds]