    SubjectRe: [RFC] put symbolic links between drivers and modules in the sysfs tree
    On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 06:37, Herbert Xu wrote:
    > James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@steeleye.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> So what will your userland code do when you run it on a system with
    > >> non-modular kernel currently running?
    > >
    > > Not put a module in the initial ramdisk, since it would be unnecessary.
    > > The only information the patch seeks to add is the linkage between
    > > driver and module. So you can work back from sysfs to know which
    > > devices have which modules
    >
    > You're assuming that the kernel before/after the reboot have the same
    > configuration. This is false in general.

    No I'm not. For an initrd/initramfs the only assumption would be that
    the boot device's driver is compiled in or modular. If this isn't true,
    the system won't boot anyway.

    James

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.020 / U:31.796 seconds]