SubjectRe: [PROPOSAL/PATCH] Fortuna PRNG in /dev/random
On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 09:42:18PM -0400, Jean-Luc Cooke wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 02:43:52PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > You still haven't shown the flaw in the logic. My point is that an
> > over-reliance on crypto primitives is dangerous, especially given
> > recent developments. Fortuna relies on the crypto primitives much
> > more than /dev/random does. Ergo, if you consider weaknesses in
> > crypto primitives to be a potential problem, then it might be
> > reasonable to take a somewhat more jaundiced view towards Fortuna
> > compared with other alternatives.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong here.
>
> You claimed that the collision techniques found for the UFN design hashs
> (sha0, md5, md5, haval, ripemd) demonstrated the need to not rely on hash
> algorithms for a RNG. Right?

For Fortuna, correct. This is why I believe /dev/random's current
design to be superior.

> And I showed that the SHA-1 in random.c now can produce collisions. So, if
> your argument against the fallen UFN hashs above (SHA-1 is a UFN hash also
> btw. We can probably expect more annoucments from the crypto community in
> early 2005) should it not apply to SHA-1 in random.c?

(1) Your method of "producing collisions" assumed that /dev/random was
of the form HASH("a\0\0\0...") == HASH("a) --- i.e., you were
kvetching about the lack of padding. But we've already agreed that
the padding argument isn't applicable for /dev/random, since it only
hashes block-sizes at the same time. (2) Even if there were real
collisions demonstrated in SHA-1's cryptographic core at some point in
the future, it wouldn't harm the security of the algorithm, since
/dev/random doesn't depend on SHA-1 being resistant against
collisions. (Similarly, HMAC-MD5 is still safe for now since it also
is designed such that the ability to find collisions do not harm its
security. It's a matter of how you use the cryptographic primitives.)

> Or did I misunderstand you? Were you just mentioning the weakened algorithms
> as a "what if they were more serious discoveries? Wouldn't be be nice if we
> didn't rely on them?" ?

That's correct. It is my contention that Fortuna is brittle in this
regard, especially in comparison to /dev/random current design.

And you still haven't pointed out the logic flaw in any argument but
your own.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.065 / U:0.204 seconds]