SubjectRe: SiI3112 Serial ATA Maxtor 6Y120M0 incorrect geometry detected
On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 12:15:33AM +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

> I'm tired of this issue and this is what I'm going to do:
> - remove CHS info from IDE printks and /proc/ide/
> - add BLKGETSTART ioctl for getting partition's start sector
> (this is the only legitimate use of HDIO_GETGEO currently)
> - at least obsolete HDIO_GETGEO in IDE or even remove it (failing is
> better than returning unexpected results)
> - silence complainers :)
> Bartlomiej

Yes. Consider returning 0 for C/H/S in HDIO_GETGEO.

We need the BLKGETSTART ioctl for another reason:
the field start of a struct hd_geometry has 32 bits
and fails for partitions starting past the 2TB mark.
So, just like BLKGETSIZE64, this BLKGETSTART must
return a u64 and return an offset in bytes.

As we all know, geometry is meaningless for IDE.
But it is not for MFM/RLL and similar ancient stuff.
If support for old disks is not broken yet, try not to break it.