    SubjectRe: SiI3112 Serial ATA Maxtor 6Y120M0 incorrect geometry detected
    On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 12:15:33AM +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

    > I'm tired of this issue and this is what I'm going to do:
    > - remove CHS info from IDE printks and /proc/ide/
    > - add BLKGETSTART ioctl for getting partition's start sector
    > (this is the only legitimate use of HDIO_GETGEO currently)
    > - at least obsolete HDIO_GETGEO in IDE or even remove it (failing is
    > better than returning unexpected results)
    > - silence complainers :)
    >
    > Bartlomiej

    Yes. Consider returning 0 for C/H/S in HDIO_GETGEO.

    We need the BLKGETSTART ioctl for another reason:
    the field start of a struct hd_geometry has 32 bits
    and fails for partitions starting past the 2TB mark.
    So, just like BLKGETSIZE64, this BLKGETSTART must
    return a u64 and return an offset in bytes.

    As we all know, geometry is meaningless for IDE.
    But it is not for MFM/RLL and similar ancient stuff.
    If support for old disks is not broken yet, try not to break it.

    Andries

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.021 / U:30.428 seconds]