    SubjectRe: 2.6.9-rc2-mm1 swsusp bug report.
    Hi.

    On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 11:45, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
    > Nigel> The problem isn't really that you're out of memory. Rather, the
    > Nigel> memory is so fragmented that swsusp is unable to get an order 8
    > Nigel> allocation in which to store its metadata. There isn't really
    > Nigel> anything you can do to avoid this issue apart from eating
    > Nigel> memory (which swsusp is doing anyway).
    >
    > Odd. I have never run into this before with either swsusp2 or
    > swsusp1.

    You won't run into it with suspend2 because it doesn't use high order
    allocations. There might be one exception, but apart from that, all of
    suspend2's data is stored in order zero allocated pages, so
    fragmentation is not an issue. This is the real solution to the problem.
    I had to do it this way because I aim to have suspend work without
    eating any memory.

    > What causes memory to be so fragmented?

    Normal usage; the pattern of pages being freed and allocated inevitably
    leads to fragmentation. The buddy allocator does a good job of
    minimising it, but what is really needed is a run-time defragmenter. I
    saw mention of this recently, but it's probably not that practical to
    implement IMHO.

    > Nothing can be done to prevent it?

    Apart from the above, no, sorry.

    Regards,

    Nigel
    --
    Nigel Cunningham
    Pastoral Worker

    Many today claim to be tolerant. True tolerance, however, can cope with others
    being intolerant.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.021 / U:3.284 seconds]