    SubjectRe: (was: Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices)
    John Myers <> wrote:

    > I hope this is not a stupid idea:
    > I propose a finer-grained approach to suid-root binaries. Perhaps,
    > instead of having a single flag giving the binary all the rights and
    > responsibilities of its owner, there could be a table/list/something of
    > capabilities which we want to grant to the binary. This, of course,
    > would be a privileged operation (perhaps a new capability?).
    > For example, we might want to grant cdrecord CAP_SYS_RAWIO. This way, we
    > don't have to worry about cdrecord running as root and not dropping all
    > the capabilities it doesn't need, by accident or by malice.

    cdrecord neither does drop the privileges by accident nor by malice.
    What I however see is that a completely unneeded incompatible interface change
    has been applied to a _stable_ Kernel.

    On a cleanly designed OS with fine grained permissions, a program like cdrecord
    does not need to worry about the permissions as it gets exactly the needed
    permissions granted by the execution environment.

    -- (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1 (work) chars I am J"org Schilling

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.021 / U:32.256 seconds]