SubjectRe: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives (was: silent semantic changes with reiser4)

> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Spam wrote:

>> Yes, some archive types can't be partially unzipped either. But my
>> point is that it wouldn't be transparent to the application/user in
>> the same way.

> It doesnt matter whether it is transparent to the application. It can
> be the application which implements the required level of
> transparency.

> User doesnt care what provides the transparency or how it's
> implemented.

Indeed. I hope I didn't say otherwise :). Just that I think it will
be very difficult to have this transparency in all apps. Just
thinking of "nano file.jpg/description.txt" or "ls
file.tar/untar/*.doc". Sure in some environments like Gnome it could
work, but it still doesn't for the rest of the flora of Linux
programs.

~S

> regards,

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.446 / U:0.416 seconds]