SubjectRe: Kernel or Grub bug.
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:40:12 EDT, "Wise, Jeremey" said:

> 2) If I choose to compile the kernel with reiserfs as a modules (ie not
> monolithicaly in the kernel) then I will have issues as the kernel has
> to have the driver reiserfs to mount the root file system to be able to
> load /lib/modules/..../reiserfs.ko. If this is what you meant then
> again, I am a bit confused. I thought that was the whole point of the
> initrd image in that those modules (RAID, FC, USB, Network
> etc....)required to get the OS to the state that it has a / they must be
> compiled in the initrd which is called and referaned in grub or lilo.
> Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

A somewhat subtle gotcha that I got bit by once - very bad things
happen if you try to load reiserfs off an ext2-formatted initrd image,
and your kernel doesn't have ext2 built in. (Feel free to substitute
any 2 filesystem formats - I actually got nailed by ext2/ext3)...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.996 / U:0.040 seconds]