SubjectRe: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, James Bruce wrote:
> Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> >In other words, nobody is really ever going to take advantage of this.
> >This is _not_ how technical advanncement happens. The way you get people
> >to take advantage of something is to have a nice gradual ramp-up, not a
> >sudden new feature that they can't realistically use.
>
> Sure, but there are plenty of existing interfaces that you could
> emulate.

Absolutely. We should look at them, and whether they solve any issues.

I'm not saying that Hans would have to make up a new interface. Quite the
reverse. One interface I suggested to use for attributes (and everybody
hates ;) was the existing one from Solaris. Similarly, there are probably
perfectly fine interfaces for the issue of transactions..

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:1.100 / U:0.652 seconds]