    SubjectRe: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives (was: silent semantic changes with reiser4)
    On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 11:11, Jamie Lokier wrote:

    > Firstly, if I have to do it from a Gnome program, about the only
    > program where looking in a tar file is visibly useful is Nautilus.
    > Ironically, clicking on a tar file in Nautilus doesn't work, despite
    > having a dependency on gnome-vfs2. :/

    This should be fixed in Nautilus, not the kernel.

    > Secondly, no, Gnome and MC don't support entering a container file,
    > letting you make changes in it, and remembering those changes to
    > _lazily_ regenerate the container file when you need it linearized,
    > possibly months later or never, by some unrelated program.

    Why do this in a tar file? tar = "tape archive". It isn't designed to
    be a file system. Sure, it's nice to have tools that make it easier to
    access files in a tar file, but to this isn't a job for the kernel.

    > Thirdly, you must be referring to the Gnome versions of Bash, Make,
    > GCC, coreutils and Perl which I haven't found. Perhaps we have a
    > different idea of what "supports this" means :)

    Please don't tell me that we have expectations to run make from within a
    tar file. This is getting silly. tar does a pretty good job of
    extracting files into real directories, and putting them back into an
    archive. I don't see a need to teach the kernel how to deal with
    compound files when user space can do it very easily.

    Shaggy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:3.572 / U:1.004 seconds]