    SubjectRe: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    >But _my_ point is, no user program is going to take _advantage_ of
    >anything that only one filesystem on one system offers.
    >
    >So there's no point.
    >
    >It's much saner (from _any_ app standpoint) to roll their own database in
    >user space - that way it just works.
    >
    >In other words, nobody is really ever going to take advantage of this.
    >This is _not_ how technical advanncement happens. The way you get people
    >to take advantage of something is to have a nice gradual ramp-up, not a
    >sudden new feature that they can't realistically use.

    Sure, but there are plenty of existing interfaces that you could
    emulate. One could make a small library to use a transactional
    filesystem to implement the Berkely DB interface (libdb) for example.
    So on filesystems without such support your app could use the regular
    userspace database, but on a transactional filesystem it'd just use
    regular files, which would simplify database management and likely
    increase performance over the userspace-only version (libdb is pretty
    slow). In terms of functionality it'd just be a drop-in replacement,
    just like math libraries that use MMX/SSE when available.

    - Jim Bruce

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:4.127 / U:0.048 seconds]