    SubjectRe: udev is too slow creating devices

    I am fascinated about udev and others, but have some questions.

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Greg KH wrote:
    > On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 05:53:05PM +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
    >> What we currently see is that distros either ignore the race or (like
    >> LFS) say something like:
    > I don't see distros ignoring the race issues. Look at Gentoo's init
    > scripts, it handles this properly (if not, please let me know.)

    I have Gentoo with udev (with 100% modular kernel). And I have speedtouch
    USB ADSL modem. I am using paralell startup scripts feature. And
    speedtouch tries to initialize itself (load firmware and so on) before USB
    bus (or how to call it) is discovered. I can imagine moving firmware
    loader to udev.d scripts but where should I place pppd launching (for
    example I might have pppd or ifconfig binary on nfs mounted /usr from
    my LAN...).

    I understand that for messages like "xxx was just plugged in" there is
    (masked) HAL and DBUS. But don't we need something where we can check if
    particular part of the system (not only device but also removable media or
    filesystem mount or some daemon) was initialized (or is currently plugged
    and initialized) or not? And we should be able to locate device file or
    mount point or controll socket of this part of the system... And don't
    we need some multi-event script launcher: "Launch this when xxx was
    plugged and initialized but not before yyy was initialized"? Gentoo has
    dependency-based startup scripts but dependiencies are resolved statically
    not dynamically... There should be also some inteligent way to
    shut down device _and_ all things that depend on it when device is
    unplugged and then reinitialize _everything_ when device is plugged
    back... Not only device itself as it is in udev.d. Script in udev.d should
    not know about services that depend on this device and services that
    depend on these services...

    And how udev, hotlpug and the rest of the system should hadle SATA disk
    unpluggged in the middle of writing? And what if it will be plugged back?

    Grzegorz Kulewski

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.036 / U:3.436 seconds]