    SubjectRe: [patch] remove the BKL (Big Kernel Lock), this time for real

    * Bill Huey <bhuey@lnxw.com> wrote:

    > Judging from how the Linux code is done and the numbers I get from
    > Bill Irwin in casual conversation, the Linux SMP approach is clearly
    > the right track at this time with it's hand honed per-CPU awareness of
    > things. The only serious problem that spinlocks have as they aren't
    > preemptable, which is what Ingo is trying to fix.

    a clarification: note that the current BKL is a special case. No way do
    i suggest that the BKS is the proper model for any SMP implementation.
    It is a narrow special-case because it wraps historic UP-only kernel
    code.

    our primary multiprocessing primitives are still the following 4:
    lockless data structures, RCU, spinlocks and mutexes. (reverse ordered
    by level of parallelism.) The BKS is basically a fifth method, a special
    type of semaphore that i'd never want to be seen used by any new SMP
    code. It is completely local to sched.c.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.025 / U:94.204 seconds]