    SubjectRe: [patch] remove the BKL (Big Kernel Lock), this time for real
    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:51:02 -0700
    Bill Huey (hui) <> wrote:

    > Judging from how the Linux code is done and the numbers I get from
    > Bill Irwin in casual conversation, the Linux SMP approach is clearly
    > the right track at this time with it's hand honed per-CPU awareness of
    > things. The only serious problem that spinlocks have as they aren't
    > preemptable, which is what Ingo is trying to fix.

    This is what Linus proclaimed 6 or 7 years ago when people were
    trying to convince us to do things like Solaris and other big
    Unixes at the time.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.040 / U:10.368 seconds]