SubjectRe: device driver for the SGI system clock, mmtimer
Date
On Thursday, September 16, 2004 11:14 am, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 09:09:12AM -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > >
> > > As far as I can see, drivers/char/hpet.c talks to the same hardware.
> > > HP sx1000 machines (and probably others) also implement the HPET.
> >
> > No, it's different hardware.
>
> mmtimer and hpet are the same hardware actually, just a different
> specification revision, hpet being the newer one.

Well, the SHub RTC hardware (which mmtimer accesses) isn't really HPET or
mmtimer hardware, but I tried to make the mmtimer *API* useful for HPET style
hardware. The idea was to have several drivers supporting the mmtimer API
with different hardware underneath.

> HPET registers are MMIO so it's in theory possible, while not really
> useful if you're using it as your system timer as well.

I don't think anyone does this.

Jesse

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans