    SubjectRe: Being more anal about iospace accesses..
    On Sep 15 2004, at 09:30, Linus Torvalds was caught saying:
    > At the same time, we've had the proper "accessor" functions (read[bwl](),
    > write[bwl]() and friends) that on purpose dropped all type information
    > from the MMIO pointer, mostly just because of historical reasons, and as a
    > result some drivers didn't use a pointer at all, but some kind of integer.
    > Sometimes even one that couldn't _fit_ a MMIO address in it on a 64-bit
    > machine.

    Since we are on the subject of io-access, I would like a
    clarification/opinion on the read*/write* & in*/out* accessors
    (and now the ioread/write equivalents). Are these functions only meant
    to be used for PCI memory-mapped devices or _any_ memory mapped devices?
    Same with ioremap(). I ask because there are bits of code in the
    kernel that use these on non-PCI devices and this sometimes causes
    some complication in platform-level code. For example, b/c of
    the way PCI access work on the IXP4xx (indirect access via register
    read/writes), we have to do the following to differentiate b/w
    PCI and non-PCI devices (include/asm-arm/arch-ixp4xx/io.h):

    static inline void *
    __ixp4xx_ioremap(unsigned long addr, size_t size, unsigned long flags, unsigned long align)
    extern void * __ioremap(unsigned long, size_t, unsigned long, unsigned long);
    if((addr < 0x48000000) || (addr > 0x4fffffff))
    return __ioremap(addr, size, flags, align);

    return (void *)addr;

    static inline void
    __ixp4xx_writeb(u8 value, u32 addr)
    u32 n, byte_enables, data;

    if (addr >= VMALLOC_START) {
    __raw_writeb(value, addr);

    n = addr % 4;
    byte_enables = (0xf & ~BIT(n)) << IXP4XX_PCI_NP_CBE_BESL;
    data = value << (8*n);
    ixp4xx_pci_write(addr, byte_enables | NP_CMD_MEMWRITE, data);

    #define writeb(p, v) __ixp4xx_writeb(p, v)

    (0x48000000 -> 0x4fffffff is the PCI memory window on this CPU).

    While this is not a huge level of uglyness, I have systems where
    this is going to get much uglier b/c we have overlapping addresses
    on different buses and we need to be able to differentiate accesses
    It raises the question of whether we need a different interface
    for non-PCI devices, if we should be passing a struct device into all
    the I/O accessors functions to make it easier for platform code to
    determine what to do, or if we should make I/O access functions a
    property of devices. So instead of doing read*/write/in*/out*, we
    would do either:

    a) pass device into io-access routines:

    cookie = iomap(dev, foo, len);
    bar = read32(dev, cookie + offset);

    b) make access routines a function of the devices themselves

    cookie = dev->iomap(foo, len);
    bar = dev->read32(cookie + REG_OFFSET);

    The former is nicer b/c it allows the dev to be ignored on systems where
    we do not care about PCI vs non-PCI devices.

    Deepak Saxena - dsaxena at plexity dot net -

    "Unlike me, many of you have accepted the situation of your imprisonment
    and will die here like rotten cabbages." - Number 6

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.023 / U:3.864 seconds]