    SubjectRe: [patch] kernel sysfs events layer
    On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 11:21:29PM -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:

    > > > Right. I originally asked Robert if there was some way to make this
    > > > interface capable of handling that, too. Maybe the answer is merely "no,
    > > > not this API".
    > >
    > > Seriously, that's not what this interface is for. This is a simple
    > > event notification interface.
    >
    > Well, this API is not far from "good enough". It's meant to be a "simple
    > event system" but with a few expansions, it can be a full-featured event
    > system :) And yes, I know the term "feature creep".

    Ok, for now, no payload.

    The kevent interface is well defined, bounded and simple. Let's not try
    to muddy it up with arbitraty blobs being passed as a payload (and for
    those people who want fimware binary crap in event log messages, please,
    just use a sysfs file for access and send a kevent with KOBJ_CHANGE
    action.)

    The event logging people are working on figuring out what actually needs
    to be logged in the first place. Let's let them finialize that, and
    then let them propose a way to get that standardized information out of
    the kernel (hint, I don't think that netlink is going to cut it for
    them...)

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.022 / U:31.540 seconds]