SubjectRe: Latest microcode data from Intel.
Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 04:43:59PM +0100, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
>
> > The microcode driver handles the case of different types of CPUs in an SMP
> > system internally. Namely, it selects the appropriate microcode data
> > chunks for each CPU and then uploads them correctly to each one. Anyway,
> > it only works for Intel processors, so AMD is not in the equation anyway
> > (unless I discover that AMD processors support similar feature and enhance
> > the driver to support it).

Okay, then there was no need to patch the load program other than "it
makes me feel better" to use the per-CPU loader if present ;-) I've
spent more time for less benefit on other software, so I don't feel bad.

> They do support the feature, but AMD folks have stated on this list that they
> don't intend to release any updates other than through their
> conventional means (Ie, BIOS updates).

That's fine as long as you run some approved BIOS, your vendor provides
timely updates, etc. Having been on the wrong end of a few cases where a
BIOS "upgrade" broke something, I confess to liking the separation of
functionality.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)