    SubjectRe: Latest microcode data from Intel.
    Dave Jones wrote:
    > On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 04:43:59PM +0100, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
    > > The microcode driver handles the case of different types of CPUs in an SMP
    > > system internally. Namely, it selects the appropriate microcode data
    > > chunks for each CPU and then uploads them correctly to each one. Anyway,
    > > it only works for Intel processors, so AMD is not in the equation anyway
    > > (unless I discover that AMD processors support similar feature and enhance
    > > the driver to support it).

    Okay, then there was no need to patch the load program other than "it
    makes me feel better" to use the per-CPU loader if present ;-) I've
    spent more time for less benefit on other software, so I don't feel bad.
    > They do support the feature, but AMD folks have stated on this list that they
    > don't intend to release any updates other than through their
    > conventional means (Ie, BIOS updates).

    That's fine as long as you run some approved BIOS, your vendor provides
    timely updates, etc. Having been on the wrong end of a few cases where a
    BIOS "upgrade" broke something, I confess to liking the separation of
    > There was a post just 2-3 weeks ago where someone patched microcode.c to
    > work on AMD64s.

    -bill davidsen (

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.036 / U:12.968 seconds]