SubjectRe: radeon-pre-2
On Llu, 2004-09-13 at 18:50, Jon Smirl wrote:
> How's this going to work with hotplug? Hotplug works by associating a
> device with a driver by the PCI ID table contained in the driver. Both
> the fbdev and DRI drivers currently contain the same PCI IDs for the
> cards that the chipsets they support.

Insert card
pc layer calls hotplug
hotplug loads vga driver
pci layer calls vga driver
vga driver generates hotplug event
hotplug loads stuff (user policy)
vga driver calls hotplugged drivers

> I guess you need to build something into the VGA driver that gets the
> PCI ID tables out of the various fbdev/DRM drivers and combine them
> into a single table visible to hotplug. Then let the VGA driver take
> the hotplug event. The VGA driver can then search it's table and
> figure out which driver to initialize.

Thats what it does. The vga_device_register functions take a vga_driver
object which is a PCI driver lookalike with an extra field of "type" so
you can load DRM's, FB's etc

> What if I have two identical PCI video cards. Don't we need an
> initialization file to say load DRM on the one in slot 1 and fbdev on
> the one in slot 2?

Possibly, thats for hotplug user space policy.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.174 / U:0.236 seconds]