    SubjectRe: Calling syscalls from x86-64 kernel results in a crash on Opteron machines
    Arnd Bergmann wrote:

    >On Montag, 13. September 2004 16:04, Constantine Gavrilov wrote:
    >

    >>We have a piece of kernel code that calls some system calls in kernel
    >>context (from a process with mm and a daemonized kernel thread that does
    >>not have mm). This works fine on IA64 and i386 architectures.
    >>

    >You can find the list of system calls that are supposed to work
    >from kernel space in asm/unistd.h inside #ifdef __KERNEL__SYSCALLS__.
    >On current kernels, that list only contains execve(), which should
    >be avoided as well in favor of call_usermodehelper. Other calls
    >might work on some architectures but that is not a supported
    >interface any more.
    >
    >You could call the sys_* functions directly if they are exported,
    >but it is unlikely that such code gets integrated in the mainline
    >kernel.
    >
    >The real answer for your problem highly depends on which syscalls
    >you want to use.
    >
    > Arnd <><

    I can implement differently what I want, though it will be somewhat
    kludgy and kernel depenedent (depends on a version and distribution). I
    wanted to avoid that. Since what I write is really an application and
    not interface, it was very "native" to use application syscall approach.

    My real problem is not how to implement it. I want to understand this
    specific x86_64 problem.

    Constantine Gavrilov
    Kernel Developer
    Qlusters Software Ltd