    SubjectRe: [Linux-fbdev-devel] fbdev broken in current bk for PPC
    Date
    On Friday 10 September 2004 14:00, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
    > On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 15:28, Antonino A. Daplas wrote:
    > > If fb_get_options returns an error, drivers will not proceed with their
    > > initialization. The second method is more compatible with the
    > > previous setup semantics.
    > >
    > > I told Geert that if the changes did bite us, then I have no choice
    > > but to add support for the second method.
    > >
    > > So, if you think that the first method is not enough, then I will add the
    > > second method. Let me know.
    >
    > I submited a patch moving offb to the bottom of the Makefile to at
    > least restore normal drivers. For ofonly, a bit more hackish, but
    > what about failing register_framebuffer for anything but offb ?

    Yes, that should solve the ofonly problem, with the offb in the very last of
    the Makefile, though as you said, it's a little hackish, but very simple to
    implement. This will work for ofonly though, since
    info->fix.name is not necessarily equal to "xxxfb". For instance, offb set
    "OFfb" in info->fix.name, but the boot option is "offb".

    After giving it some thought, I think method 2 might be the best since it
    provides compatibility with the old syntax. Especially if users expect
    video=xxxfb:off to work. Also, this brings more flexibility in the offchance
    we decide to add more options to "video=".

    I'm willing to work on this, but if you don't like it, then I'll do the 'fail
    at register_framebuffer".

    Tony

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.021 / U:32.136 seconds]