    SubjectRe: [Patch 0/6]: Cleanup and rbtree for ext3 reservations in 2.6.9-rc1-mm4
    On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 06:02, Stephen Tweedie wrote:
    > The patches in the following set contain several cleanups for ext3
    > reservations, fix a reproducable SMP race, and turn the per-superblock
    > linear list of reservations into an rbtree for better scaling.

    > These changes have been in rawhide for a couple of weeks, and have
    > been undergoing testing both within Red Hat and at IBM.

    We have run several tests on this set of the reservation changes. We
    compared the results w/o reservation, rbtree based reservation vs link
    list based reservation. Here is the tiobench sequential test
    results.Note that 2.6.8.1-mm4 kernel include the double link based
    per-fs reservation tree.

    tiobench sequential write throughputs
    Threads no reservation 2.6.8.1-mm4 2.6.8.1-mm4+rbtree patch
    1 29 29 29
    4 3 29 29
    8 4 28 28
    16 3 27 27
    32 4 27 27
    64 3 27 27
    128 2 20 25
    256 1 20 24

    We did see the rbtree changes scales better on more than 128 threads. We
    also run tio random tests, did not see throughput regression there.

    We also re-run the dbench, test results showing that these two
    reservations(rbtree based vs link based) performs almost equally well.

    dbench average throughputs on 4 runs
    Threads no reservation 2.6.8.1-mm4 2.6.8.1-mm4_rbtree
    1 97 93 96
    4 234 250 213
    8 201 213 213
    16 156 168 169
    32 73 106 105
    64 38 65 67

    We had some concerns about the cpu cost for seeky random write workload
    with all the reservation changes before. We are doing some tests in that
    area too.

    Mingming

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.022 / U:0.708 seconds]