SubjectRe: Latest microcode data from Intel.
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Alan Cox wrote:
> > The microcode_ctl utility had a hardcoded default "/dev/cpu/microcode" and
> > there is no real reason to change it because different distributions
> > prefer a different value, so how to decide who is "right"?
> Documentation/devices.txt aka LANANA

Ok, in that case microcode_ctl is right about "/dev/cpu/microcode" and
distributions need to change to match it. Indeed, it always seemed silly
to me to "pretend" that the microcode device node is "per cpu" in some
sense (as it is impossible under Linux to bind userspace app to a given
cpu then there is no "good" sense in which "per cpu" node can be defined).

Kind regards