SubjectRe: silent semantic changes in reiser4 (brief attempt to document the idea ofwhat reiser4 wants to do with metafiles and why
Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com> said:
> Paul Jakma wrote:
> > On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Hans Reiser wrote:
> >> It is not part of it at one level, but in the shell it is part of it.

> > Just one of many applications. Watch Joe-user save their word
> > processing file sometime, they'll use spaces, quotes, etc.

> With great unhappiness they will.

Given the right GUI, they won't even notice.

> >> Have you looked at the political process at all? Or by lots of
> >> people, do you mean a sizable minority?

> > Kernel development does

> did you mean to have a "not" here?

> > require deep understanding by the majority of computer users. Only
> > kernel developers need deep understanding. ;)

> What makes you think kernel developers have a deep understanding of the
> value of connectivity in the OS?

Enlighten us. Never heard of "conectivity in the OS" before.

> They don't. The average kernel
> developer is not particularly bright.

Right.

> Just ask Ted why htrees are slower
> than reiser4, or ext2 tail combining is slower, and, well, he has no
> clue.

Great PR move, again: Go on publicly insulting the people who you are
trying to convince.

> He is happy to explain how architects don't do real work and
> should not attend the Linux Kernel Summit, and then when reiser4 blows
> htrees away he undoubtedly still thinks I just take the credit away from
> the programmers who do the real work. They did real work, and they are
> the best in the field, but architecture also matters --- quite a lot
> actually.

Right you are about architecture.

[...]

> This is why I just want to be left alone to tinker with reiser4. It is
> faster than other filesystems. People should assume I know what I am
> doing, and leave me to tinker in my little fs. 5 years later others will
> follow, or not, I don't care.

Great idea.

> > The real question though is: Have you given Al Viro technical answers
> > to his technical questions?

> Yes, I did.

Haven't seen them.

> Got no response. Would you like me to post something nice
> and technical to this thread?;-)

That is what this list is supposed to be about: Technical discussion of the
Linux kernel development.

> I can send a summary of my design, and
> the answers I sent to Viro and Linus.

Please do. Together with the questions, so we can see the whole picture.