> > > It's not about the kernel, it's about the interface. And see my other mail:
> > > cat
> > > less
> > > is a lot easier than
> > > lynx
> > > emerge zip
> > > man zip
> > > unzip
> > > cat bar.c
> > > which already assumes quite a lot of expertise.
> >
> > If you only want nice user interface, you can have that today. Its
> > done using coda, and hosted at
> Can I do these already using uservfs?
> cd
> less

> less /usr/portage/distfiles/perl-5.8.5.tar.gz/contents/toke.c

less /usr/portage/distfiles/perl-5.8.5.tar.gz#utar/contents/toke.c

> grep -R obscure_label ~/RPMS

I do not think you'd want this. How would you tell grep obscure label
without entering archives, then?

> No I can't.

> Even using the right "#" names for uservfs ('' etc.), I can
> only do the above with convenient paths, completion etc. if I mount
> my

Well, you can... or at least I had version somewhere that
automagically prepended /overlay when file was not found. That way,
normal requests were fast and uservfs were used whenever it was
needed... At the price of little uglyness and slowing down -ENOENTs.

> As we're adding file-as-directories to VFS, I propose it would be good
> to have *hooks* in place, and non-metadata namespace reserved inside
> the directories, so that uservfs-like userspace filesystems can
> be auto-mounted at those places and synchronised with the file.
> In other words, something that makes the next version of uservfs a
> whole lot more useful.

Yep, something less hacky would be nice.

> So all I am asking for is a facility to auto-mount with
> file-as-directory, and the ability for a userspace daemon to be
> notified of regular file modifications synchronously. Both can be
> added later, once file-as-directory and moveable mounts are

If the userspace daemon is synchronously notified of file
modification... will not that lead to very ugly deadlocks?

Horseback riding is like software...
...vgf orggre jura vgf serr.