    Hi!

    > > > It's not about the kernel, it's about the interface. And see my other mail:
    > > > cat foo.zip/README
    > > > less foo.zip/contents/bar.c
    > > > is a lot easier than
    > > > lynx http://google.com/search?q=zip
    > > > emerge zip
    > > > man zip
    > > > unzip foo.zip
    > > > cat bar.c
    > > > which already assumes quite a lot of expertise.
    > >
    > > If you only want nice user interface, you can have that today. Its
    > > done using coda, and hosted at uservfs.sf.net.
    >
    > Can I do these already using uservfs?
    >
    > cd
    > less foo.zip/contents/bar.c

    less foo.zip#uzip/contents/bar.c

    > less /usr/portage/distfiles/perl-5.8.5.tar.gz/contents/toke.c

    less /usr/portage/distfiles/perl-5.8.5.tar.gz#utar/contents/toke.c

    > grep -R obscure_label ~/RPMS

    I do not think you'd want this. How would you tell grep obscure label
    without entering archives, then?

    > No I can't.

    > Even using the right "#" names for uservfs ('foo.zip#zip' etc.), I can
    > only do the above with convenient paths, completion etc. if I mount
    > my

    Well, you can... or at least I had version somewhere that
    automagically prepended /overlay when file was not found. That way,
    normal requests were fast and uservfs were used whenever it was
    needed... At the price of little uglyness and slowing down -ENOENTs.

    > As we're adding file-as-directories to VFS, I propose it would be good
    > to have *hooks* in place, and non-metadata namespace reserved inside
    > the directories, so that uservfs-like userspace filesystems can
    > be auto-mounted at those places and synchronised with the file.
    >
    > In other words, something that makes the next version of uservfs a
    > whole lot more useful.

    Yep, something less hacky would be nice.

    > So all I am asking for is a facility to auto-mount with
    > file-as-directory, and the ability for a userspace daemon to be
    > notified of regular file modifications synchronously. Both can be
    > added later, once file-as-directory and moveable mounts are

    If the userspace daemon is synchronously notified of file
    modification... will not that lead to very ugly deadlocks?
    Pavel

    --
    Horseback riding is like software...
    ...vgf orggre jura vgf serr.