On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 09:19:45PM +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > (most of the streams in a Word file for instance are quite small)
> Streams in a Word file?

> Are you saying that when I copy a .doc file onto my Linux box and off,
> I lose part of a Word document?

Right now no, because when Samba refuses the stream open, Word falls
back into a "tar"-like mode where it linearises the streams into the
data (it's a legacy mode for storing data on a FAT drive, not an NTFS
drive). However, the problem is that no currently supported Microsoft
OS doesn't have streams-capable NTFS support.

This means that in a future MS-Office revision, this backwards support
may be broken by accident or by design (less likely, Microsoft really
don't do that kind of thing without very high level requests :-) and no
testers at Microsoft will notice (because they only test against MS servers).