    On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 09:19:45PM +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
    > Jeremy Allison wrote:
    > > (most of the streams in a Word file for instance are quite small)
    > Streams in a Word file?

    > Are you saying that when I copy a .doc file onto my Linux box and off,
    > I lose part of a Word document?

    Right now no, because when Samba refuses the stream open, Word falls
    back into a "tar"-like mode where it linearises the streams into the
    data (it's a legacy mode for storing data on a FAT drive, not an NTFS
    drive). However, the problem is that no currently supported Microsoft
    OS doesn't have streams-capable NTFS support.

    This means that in a future MS-Office revision, this backwards support
    may be broken by accident or by design (less likely, Microsoft really
    don't do that kind of thing without very high level requests :-) and no
    testers at Microsoft will notice (because they only test against MS servers).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.026 / U:31.984 seconds]