    SubjectRe: page fault scalability patch final : i386 tested, x86_64 support added
    On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 02:43, Christoph Lameter wrote:

    > This would limit the time that the page_table_lock is held to a minimum
    > and may still offer some of the performance improvements.
    > Would that be acceptable?

    Not sure... You probably want to have the set_pte and the later flush_*
    in the same lock to maintain expected semantics with those platforms...

    It's not that a simple issue. I have ways to do sort-of lock-less by
    using my PAGE_BUSY lock bit in the PTE instead on ppc64 and I think
    doing that properly would result in almost no overhead over what we have
    now, so I'm still interested. ppc32 would have to take a global
    spinlock, but that's fine as we aren't looking for scalability on this

    So while I like your idea, I think it needs a bit more thinking & work
    on some platforms. David wrote about potential issues on sparc64, and I
    wonder if it would be worth re-thinking some of the pte invalidation
    semantics a bit (pushing more logic into set-pte, that is making it
    higher level, rather than having the common code split changing of PTEs
    and invalidations, with eventually some beign/end semantics for batches)

    BTW. We should get David's patch in first thing before tackling with
    this complicated issue (the one adding mm & addr to set_pte & friends).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.028 / U:184.956 seconds]