Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > I meant when I copy not using Samba. For example, I copy the .doc
> > file in Windows NT to an FTP server.
> >
> > Does the FTP operation magically linearise the .doc streams on demand?
> > Or does FTP lose part of the Word document?
>
> Good question. It depends if the Microsoft ftp client is streams-aware,
> and understands the Microsoft OLE structured storage format and will do
> the linearisation on demand or not. I must confess I haven't tested this,
> as I don't ever run Windows other than on vmware sessions for Samba testing
> these days :-).
>
> Probably a non-Microsoft ftp client would lose part of the word doc.

So you're saying SCP, CVS, Subversion, Bitkeeper, Apache and rsyncd
will _all_ lose part of a Word document when they handle it on a
Window box?

Ouch!

The only sensible implementation I can imagine would be if the OS
linearised multi-stream Word documents into the non-stream format
automatically for all programs which don't know about streams.

Which is of course what I would like to implement for Linux...

- Jamie

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.624 / U:0.184 seconds]