    SubjectRe: Driver retries disk errors.
    On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Alan Cox wrote:

    > On Mer, 2004-09-01 at 16:18, Bill Davidsen wrote:
    > > If would probably be good to retry "read what you were asked, nothing
    > > more" on error, to avoid passing back errors caused by readahead. I
    > > suspect this would avoid some issues reading data off CD as well, where
    > > one software can read clean and another ends with a short image and error.
    > Sure but as I understand the block layer currently (and I may be missing
    > something in the 2.6 code) I can't do that from a driver.
    Sorry, that was unclear. I was speaking of a general approach rather than
    what would be done in the driver. Clearly that's best done at a higher
    level. Drivers should not be making policy decisions of that type, but I
    don't think it's good to return a read error caused by data the program
    didn't request (ie. readahead).

    Unless S.M.A.R.T is lying, that happens so seldom on disk that the
    overhead of a retry doesn't matter. And on CD it makes things work where
    currently they fail.

    bill davidsen <>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.018 / U:10.216 seconds]