    SubjectRe: ide-cs using 100% CPU
    Hamie wrote:
    > Alan Cox wrote:
    >
    >> On Gwe, 2004-08-06 at 20:33, Hamie wrote:
    >>

    >>> Is 100% CPU not excessive? IIRC my PIII-750 used to use less CPU
    >>> doing the same job as quick, or even slightly faster...
    >>>

    >> PCMCIA IDE is PIO only so it burns CPU. This is one case where
    >> hyperthreading is nice. Cardbus IDE is a lot better but very little
    >> exists and we don't currently support hotplug IDE controllers.
    >>

    > Ah right. But would a CF memory card be cardbus anyway?

    I've never seen a CF card that supported DMA (and I've worked with
    several brands). Compact Flash cards have several modes of operation and
    only one of this modes is "IDE-compatible".

    >>> And should it not use system CPU rather than user CPU?
    >>>

    >> Yes - but figure out please if the kernel or userspace is getting that
    >> wrong ;)
    >>

    > My apologies. It was gkrellm leading me up the garden path on that
    > one... Copying about 100MB from a 512MB CF card (25+ photos from my
    > camera) vmstat 5 reports 4% usercpu, 96% system cpu. And the response on
    > the system is sluggish to say the least. (Moving the pointer in X is
    > painful :). gkrell meanwhile on it's cpu graph shows about 30% system,
    > and the rest as userCPU. No idea why, I guess till I find out I'll just
    > regard gkrellm's cpu graph as a waste of space (To differentiate system
    > & user cpu anyway :).

    I think this is more of a scheduler/priorities problem. Maybe all the
    work that is being done with staircase / low-latency will help you on
    this :)

    --
    Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com
    "In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates?"